Key past projects
Commencing in 1996, the Hunter Research Foundation (HRF) conducted an annual Lecture Series featuring presentations from leading, well-respected Australians.
In May 2018 the HRF Centre hosted a one-off lecture by one of Australia's leading social researchers, Hugh Mackay, as part of his national book tour. In his 19th book, Australia Reimagined, Hugh takes an unflinching look at us and offers some compelling proposals for a more compassionate and socially cohesive Australia. DOWNLOAD LECTURE TRANSCRIPT
About the lecture:
We have hosted Hugh Mackay on three previous occasions in Newcastle, attracting wide public interest, with each event selling out. Now, at the University of Newcastle, this public lecture was co-hosted with the University's Centre for 21st Century Humanities.
2015 Lecture featured:
- Genevieve Clay-Smith, 2015 NSW Young Australian of the Year, co-founder of non-profit Bus Stop Films, entrepreneur and award-winning film-maker DOWNLOAD TRANSCRIPT
- Marcus Westbury, Founder Renew Newcastle and Renew Australia, author of Creating Cities, creator and compere of ABC television show Bespoke DOWNLOAD TRANSCRIPT
- Paul Broad, CEO Snowy Hydro, former Chairman Hunter Development Corporation, former CEO of Infrastructure NSW, Sydney Water Corporation, and Hunter Water Corporation DOWNLOAD TRANSCRIPT
Each year the University of Newcastle runs a number of public events and lectures. Find out more
YOUnite Summit and Research Project
Our YOUnite project examined - What are the barriers to our young people transitioning successfully from school to independent adult life? And our inaugural YOUnite Youth Summit featured three young researchers who presented the project findings around three key themes:
- HSC: Ticket to Success or Highly Stressful Cocoon?
- Support: Is it Super or Does it Suck?
- Wonderful World of Work or Just Wishful Thinking?