For over 30 years this series has attracted hundreds of guests from local industry, government and the community, and delivered timely and independent insights to help drive business and regional prosperity. Dynamic speakers present the latest national, international and regional economic insights and a focus on special themes highlight important local issues.
2019 Dates: 1 March | Thurs. 16 May | Fri. 26 July | Fri. 15 November
1 MARCH 2019 BREAKFAST: THE MONA EFFECT
HRF Centre is collaborating with other regional stakeholders to develop a shared vision and areas of priority for Newcastle and the Hunter region. Drawing on aspects of the Greater Newcastle Metropolitan Plan and priority areas identified at last year's Second Cities Symposium, the overarching theme for the 2019 series will be collaboration and vision.
Our first breakfast featured the former Premier of Tasmania, David Bartlett, who shared some of the behind the scenes stories of the origins of MONA. The speakers discussed how other regional communities replicate the 'MONA effect' to grow and diversify their economies, while also transforming for a prosperous future?
- David Bartlett, Former Premier of Tasmania - The MONA Effect - DOWNLOAD PRESENTATION
- Andrew Hoyne, Founding Director, Hoyne, and Author of The Place Economy
- Dr Anthea Bill, Lead Economist, HRF Centre - Hunter Region Economic Insights - DOWNLOAD PRESENTATION
16 NOVEMBER BREAKFAST: THEME - INNOVATION
Are Newcastle and the Hunter winning or losing at the innovation game?
- Dr Anthea Bill, Lead Economist, Hunter Research Foundation Centre Download Presentation
- James O'Loghlin
- Heath Raftery, Newie Ventures
- Siobhan Curran, I2N
27 JULY BREAKFAST: THEME - TRANSPORT INFRASTRUCTURE FOR THE FUTURE
HRF Centre presented insights for the national and local economy, including the results of our unique Pulse Survey of local consumer and business expectations presented in our Hunter Region Economic Indicators. An expert panel focussed on transport infrastructure.
- Dr Anthea Bill, Lead Economist, Hunter Research Foundation Centre Download presentation
- Professor Emeritus Roy Green, Chair, Port of Newcastle
- Kyle Loades, Steering Committee Chair, Committee for Sydney; ex-Chairman, NRMA
- Matt Coetzee, Client Director Cities, Aurecon
- Chris Knowles, Director Sales and Marketing, McLanahan Corporation
11 MAY BREAKFAST
Our second Hunter Economic Breakfast for 2018 continued the theme of Growing Smarter and examined economic prosperity and inequality. We released a special edition of our March Hunter Region Economic Indicators focussed on inequality.
- Melinda Cilento, CEO, CEDA - How unequal? Insights on inequality DOWNLOAD PRESENTATION
- Dr Anthea Bill, Lead Economist, HRF Centre - Indicators of Social Inequality in the Hunter DOWNLOAD PRESENTATION
- Hugh Mackay, Author and social researcher - Australia Reimagined
DOWNLOAD the latest Hunter Region Economic Indicators
To receive event invites sign up below. Interested in supporting HRF Centre's research program? Contact Kim Britton on (02) 4985 4304