Wednesday, 2 September, 2020
Neil Selmon is an urban planner and researcher with 40 years’ experience in local and state government agencies and in private practice. He has held senior executive positions in the NSW State Government and in local government. He was most recently Executive Director, Office of Strategic Lands & Strategic Land and Property Coordination, in the Housing and Property Group at the NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment.
Neil provides strategic planning policy advice and planning services to government and industry. Neil has specialised skills in strategic planning and translating strategic outcomes into effective legal planning instruments; regional planning and alignment of local and regional strategic planning outcomes; urban governance models and collaborative planning practice. Neil’s work and research focuses on effective integration and alignment of local and regional strategic planning outcomes to build resilient and cohesive communities and ensure efficient use of resources.
Neil recently successfully completed his PhD in urban planning and governance investigating the topic: "The tension between State control and local autonomy: can collaborative planning practice align local with regional strategic plans?"
- Bachelor of Town Planning (Hons), University of New South Wales
- Candidate for Doctor of Philosophy, University of Technology Sydney
- Building and Development Mediation Certificate, Australian Commercial Disputes Centre
- Certificate of Registration, Real Estate Institute of NSW
- Strategic policy and planning for state agencies and local councils
- Preparation and assessment of local environmental strategies, environmental impact statements, reviews of environmental factors
- Preparation of state environmental planning policies, local environmental plans, local strategic planning statements, development control plans, Masterplans and development proposals to deliver agreed strategic outcomes
- Negotiation and mediation skills
- Urban governance
- Community and stakeholder engagement
- Environmental impact assessment